8th November 2018
Due to ongoing success, CatSci Ltd is entering a period of high growth and now requires an additional Business Development Manager to drive out-bound business development activities.
You will be responsible primarily for creating new project opportunities by expanding the customer base and delivering qualified leads to the pipeline. You will share our aspiration for the future of CatSci and contribute significantly to the delivery of the business goals in this challenging and rewarding role. The company has global reach, and the initial focus for this role is the US market.
Location: office base in Cardiff, UK
Contract: Full-time, permanent, to start as soon as possible
Compensation: £28-38k, 25 days annual leave, company benefits and annual bonus
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Reporting directly to the Head of Business Development, your responsibilities will include to:
- Conduct and interpret industry-specific research in order to develop strong market knowledge, and use this as a foundation to identify new potential customers as their small molecule assets progress through drug discovery and development.
- Excel at understanding our business experience, expertise and capabilities (features) and visualising the benefits that they can provide to our customers (the value proposition).
- Prospect to grow a strong pipeline of new business opportunities, ensuring that each potential customer is rigorously pre-qualified as ostensibly having need for our services.
- Identify customer needs and consult with them at the pre-qualification stage to inform subsequent definition of explicit needs and the exact solution to ensure successful project outcomes in line with their expectations (demonstrable ROI).
- Establish strong communicative and enduring relationships with existing and new customers to aid the timely identification of potential opportunities.
- Develop a clear understanding of the key stakeholders within each customer and the decision making process therein.
- Build strong relationships with the broader stakeholder community to ensure CatSci are considered as a credible service provider for future projects with the goal of gaining approved supplier status.
- Arrange contact meetings for senior colleagues with the appropriate stakeholders to further explore the qualified lead.
- Prepare colleagues to connect with such decision makers in an informed manner, ensuring they are adequately briefed with explicit purposes, requisite questions and potential outcomes.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to manage project opportunities through the entire new business development process.
- Ensure all existing and new customers’ activities are logged and opportunities recorded in CRM for effective and visible forecasting of future activity.
- Share learning, experiences and knowledge with the rest of the team, contributing to a supportive and collaborative ethos focused on mastery of business processes (the “CatSci Way”).
- Maintain company values and reputation in its markets and with all staff, customers, suppliers, partners and official agencies.
Knowledge and Skills
The ideal candidate will have:
- PhD or degree in chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacy or related discipline.
- Previous experience in a similar role and formal sales training are desirable.
- Proven track record of success in career path to date.
- Self-motivated and driven to achieve personal targets, collective objectives and business goals.
- Highly focused on developing a career in commercial sales.
- An understanding of the principles of business development and the importance of opportunity qualification along with an appreciation of offering solutions that meet explicit customer needs.
- Must appreciate need for consistency within company’s sales process and cross channel messaging and marketing.
Literacy, Numeracy and IT Skills
- Must be analytically minded and highly rigorous.
- Competent writer and reviewer of business letters and emails, customer account plans and checklists.
- Financially astute and able to understand basic business finance and pricing.
- Experienced user of MS Office, particularly PowerPoint, Excel and Word, and email (MS Outlook).
- Must be capable of becoming adept in use of all appropriate information technology, including search engines, database tools, CRMs, etc.
The ideal candidate will be:
- A proactive and assiduous self-starter, happy to work autonomously and assume responsibility for the planning, initiation, and delivery of target objectives.
- A problem solver, able to rapidly grasp complex and evolving situations, analyse a range of issues and suggest practical solutions.
- Intelligent, rigorous, ethical, and articulate with a proven ability to define and simplify problems in order to devise meaningful solutions.
- Energetic, enthusiastic and determined with, a clear focus on delivery of results.
- A strong active listener and empathetic communicator, able to challenge sensitively and engage in positive debate for beneficial impact, actively advocating strategies and influencing decisions
- Able to work well with others to ensure collective goals are achieved, adapting communication and working style to engage effectively with individuals at all levels in an organisation.
- Comfortable in consulting with senior stakeholders with authority, confidence and intelligence to build effective relationships.
- Able to multi-task, managing concurrent activities and balancing conflicting priorities.
- A natural forward planner who aims high and critically assesses own performance.
- Natural leadership skills are desirable.
- Although internal staff management is not a part of the job remit initially, such opportunities may arise in line with the development of the business.
- Must work collaboratively and efficiently with the commercial and technical teams.
- In particular, this requires knowledge of the CatSci Way in which we do business, an intimate understanding of our features, and the need to feed-back on any learning.
- Marketing will provide customer intelligence and competitor analysis, maximise brand awareness and support lead generation.
- Able to commute daily to office base in Cardiff.
- Willing and able to work extended hours when required.
- Must have full UK driving licence and not be disqualified from driving.
- Must have a passport which allows travel within Europe and to the US.
- Overseas travelling is expected to be less than 10 days per annum. Note-more senior roles require significantly more travel, greater than 50 days per annum.
To Apply for this Position
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with a covering letter outlining why you believe you are qualified for this demanding and exciting role.
Applications will only be considered if received by e-mail. Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK and must be fluent in both spoken and written English.
© CatSci Ltd, 2018.